Saturday 6 June 2015

Titchmarsh Sand Martin Bank update

The week before last I had to visit Titchmarsh Reserve with a couple of colleagues to carry out the May water invertebrate survey. This involves taking samples from a number of the water features around the Northern end of the reserve. As I was close by, I took a very quick look at the sand martin bank to see if our efforts earlier in the year had been successful. Indeed they were. Several sand martins were wheeling around in front of the bank and I saw one bird emerge from one of the holes in the side of the bank. I beat a hasty retreat so as not to disturb the birds, but at least I could be sure that the bank is being used. That is great news as the bank has taken a lot of effort and money to create. Thanks to all the people who have contibuted to its success.

No comments:

Post a Comment