Wednesday 16 January 2019

Picture of the week

Hello

Club member Dave Jackson has yet again won this week's Birdguides Picture of the Week with a stunning adult male Sparrowhawk in his garden being the winning subject. Despite taking the images through glass he again takes the crown!

Dave's story and the images follow...

'I arrived home and walked straight into the kitchen and noticed a Sparrowhawk perched low down about four metres from the back door. I slowly back-tracked to get my camera not expecting it to be there when I returned but fortunately he hadn't seen me otherwise he'd have been off like a shot.

I took a few shots from a distance and then knelt down and shuffled closer using a dining chair to hide behind and as a rest for my camera. It was clear from the full crop that the bird had enjoyed a sizeable meal and was in no hurry to depart. I daren't move even to check my images and camera settings and it finally flew off 35 minutes later when I moved to ease my aching knees! There was no sign of any feathers from its prey but I haven't seen the neighbour's cat for a few days now!'

Regards

Neil M





Adult male Sparrowhawk
courtesy of Dave Jackson.




No comments:

Post a Comment